Evaluating FM 7.2 replacement? RE: So how many of us are stuck with Frame 7.2?

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Tue Mar 29 17:55:51 PDT 2011

Hi Donna...

The non-Roman character problem should be significantly reduced with
FM10 .. or InDesign. I've never been able to warm up to working with
Flare, which feels a lot like RoboHelp .. not that there's anything
wrong with these products, but if you're used to the solid feel of
writing in Frame, these other tools feel quite inadequate (to me).

Your easiest path will be to FM10. You'll have some hurdles learning to
work with the new UI, but that's totally doable. If you have the need to
generate online output (Help of various kinds), you might consider
moving to TCS3. The best way to determine if another tool will serve you
better is to take the time to migrate a representative document or two
into that tool and see how you like it. Try generating whatever output
you'll need and try authoring in that tool. If something else does the
job, go for it. However, don't switch tools just to save a few bucks.
The money you save on the cheaper tool will likely be lost in a week of
lost productivity.

Cheers,

...scott