Relative Path for Images Changed to Absolute

Wei Jiang (PT_CN) jiangw at polytrans.com.cn
Thu Mar 31 17:16:01 PDT 2011

Dear Alison,

I had met similar problems 10 years ago, when I started translating and
typesetting FM documents. There was/is not a short-cut solution to the
problems. But the lessons that I learned are:

1.       Never change the relative path info in the FM files. Be careful of
your fingers when you are prompted to locate the missing images, say when
you need to re-save FM documents into MIF, to be processed by a CAT tool.
Just consistently ignore and never redirect! Actually there are
tools/scripts out there which can automatically re-save every FM in a  book,
or in a folder (and its subfolders) while keeping the original linking info
intact.

2.       Just in case that the path info has been changed, say from relative
paths to absolute paths, which is your case, I am sure you can still change
them back, in a dirty, quick way. First, you need to save all FM files into
MIF. Then you can use a search-and-replace tool that supports
wildcards/regular expressions, such as the legendary UltraEditor - just
replace the "c:\folder\subfolers\" stuff with "..\..\" - of course the
strings look differently in the MIF, but this is a just a quick example. And
finally, you resave all MIF's back to FM's. Actually, I have been thinking
about creating a tool to streamline this whole process, though I personally
do not need it, as I had learned my lesson, and I have had my associates
learn it too.

But, before you try the above, you must ensure that the path info in our FM
files have REALLY been changed. Actually, if  the files are saved in the
root directory of your disk, say "c:\", then when opening them, FrameMaker
may try locating the linked image files in "c:\", not in their relative
path. So, I would suggest that you copy your FM files into a folder that is
"deep" enough, and see if FrameMaker will suggest relative paths when
opening them.

Kindest regards,

Wei Jiang
Senior Chinese Translator,
Project Manager of Multilingual Localization Projects
Beijing, China