Generating TOC

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu May 5 07:56:15 PDT 2011

On 03/05/2011 5:52 PM, Theresa de Valence wrote:
> When I first ran generate book, it have created paratagsTOC. In all of
> these I put a right tab with a leading ". . ."
>
> I *thought* Frame would now update my book with the paratagsTOC as I
> modified them, but the updated TOC shows the contents with no tab
> separating entries. Is there something else I should have done, too?

Theresa,

Any changes you make on the body pages of a TOC (such as format
overrides, inserting a tab character, or editing any text) are lost upon
updating.

Make sure that you implement these changes on the Reference page for the
TOC, not on the body pages, and insert one or more tab characters before
the <$pagenum> block where you want the leader dots.  Save, Update Book,
and you should be fine.  I recommend that you put two or three tab
characters on the ref. page entries instead of just one per tag.  The
extra tab characters have no visible effect on the reference page, but
if a TOC entry happens to to a second or third line, the additional tab
characters will ensure the proper tabbing and leader dots.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator