FM10 does not output Adobe PDF

Fri May 6 09:35:51 PDT 2011

bruce.macarthur at vsea.com wrote:

> Hello,
> I just loaded FM10 on Windows 7 64. I tried to print to Adobe PDF. I
> have the request for filename selected, however, it prints, there are
> no error messages, and I can't find the file. If I save the file as PDF,
> it saves OK, however, I can't get the bookmarks that way. Can someone
> tell me if there is a setting that I don't have correct. This worked
> fine on FM9.

Unless FM10 has added something new to the Print dialog, there's no "request for filename" -- are you referring to the Print to File option? (It's always a good idea when reporting what you've done to accurately cite the names of commands, settings, etc.) If so, are you leaving the default path and name, clicking Browse and choosing a path and name, or what?

Are you by any chance looking for a *.pdf file? The Print to File option produces a *.ps (PostScript) file, which you then have to distill.

Save As PDF has worked fine for several versions now, and I'd be surprised if it were suddenly broken in FM10. Even back when it got its bad reputation, not getting bookmarks from it was never an issue. (In fact, the opposite problem occurs: no bookmarks when using Print instead of Save As -- that's generally a settings error.) Have you set up bookmarks via Format > Document > PDF Setup > Bookmarks tab?

Finally (grasping at straws), you apparently installed FM10 after Acrobat (BTW, telling us what version of Acrobat you have would be a good idea). That shouldn't matter because the FM installer ought to make sure all the plumbing between the two apps is OK. But if all else fails (forgive me, Dov!), you might try reinstalling Acrobat so its installer sees the FM10 installation.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.