Index Troubles: No Openable Nongenerated Files?

Karen Robbins karendesign at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:58:22 PDT 2011

Hello Framers,

I cannot generate an index from my book file. The book error log
reads "Couldn't update this book, because it contains no openable
nongenerated files." It doesn't name a document file that caused the
problem, only the book file itself.

I am certain that the 13 files in my book are openable and
nongenerated, as I've been working on them for days. In the Update
Book dialog, I uncheck the first four boxes because I am not yet at
the final pagination stage--this is just a test index to catch marker
errors and so forth and updating would be pointless. I check the
"generate Table of Contents, Lists, and Indexes box. A default index
file name appears in the "Generate:" box. I have tried making a new
book more than once, with the same result.

I *can* generate a stand-alone index from each of the individual files.

I'm using FM 9 on Windows 7 through Parallels 6. The problem existed
with p237; updated to p250 but same result. Apparently I can't update
any further, as I get a "cannot overwrite file" error in the Adobe
Updater.

These same files gave me no trouble on a different machine with the
same configurations several days ago. Any idea what might have gone
wrong?

Thanks for your wisdom,

Karen Robbins