Application of multiple character tags in generated documents

McCarthy, Brian P brian.p.mccarthy at lmco.com
Tue May 31 15:30:09 PDT 2011

Richard's advice is good, though another view on the same point might help make it theologically neutral, heh-heh...

Think of it in terms of the PURPOSE of the char-tags you are applying---like Richard said, is it a product name, or a foreign word, or a menu command? Either way, your two-format tag could reflect that purpose in its name ("Emphasis" or "Definition").

By following this model (tags defined by purpose/content), you can then begin getting away from tags defined by format ("Bold" or "Italic" or "Red") and so the proliferation you feared begins to wash out. For every tag you create that's semantically smart but "roughly" one-off, you begin to see how you can eliminate a tag that's semantically blind and dumb, and which also has problems when used in combination with other such format-based but content-dumb tags.

This type of change will also help in case you ever go to a structured environment.

Which of course you long to do. Right?

- B.Mc.