Change defaults for New Document in FM 9? WORKAROUND

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Nov 2 08:31:53 PDT 2011

Thanks Penelope, and also Richard for suggesting shellnew.fm.

The FM9 Help topic basically repeats John Bevan's instructions, below.
I tried that method (and now I'm pretty sure it was the "Custom"
document that I had modified in FM7), but it does not work in FM9.  When
I create a new blank document now, I do see in the catalogs all the
formats I created/modified as instructed below; but the ruler remains
stubbornly in metric.  Oddly, both the custom file and the shellnew.fm
file, when dragged into the FM9 workspace, open with the ruler
displaying inches. But File > New > Document opens with the ruler in
metric, whether I choose Portrait, Landscape, or Custom (even with the
Units set to Inches in the Custom dialog box that appears).

I'm beginning to think this is something that got broken along the way
from ver. 7 to ver. 9, and I give up.

I have saved a new template called PortraitBlank.fm in the Templates
folder.  All I have to do now is break my habit of choosing the Portrait
button and retrain myself to select PortraitBlank when I reach the New
Document dialog box.

Thanks anyway!

Stuart

--