DITA file naming conventions

Jim Owens jowens at magma.ca
Thu Nov 3 11:04:54 PDT 2011

 >   As far as possible, make sure the file name matches the title of
the topic. So if your topic is "Inserting the Widget" then your file
name would be "inserting_the_widget.xml". I realize this may cause
problems later if the title changes, but that doesn't happen often and
you can usually make the change to the file name without too much hassle
(changing it in ditamaps, etc.).

Since this has come up, I was wondering if any DITA-aware CMS offerings
can present the topic title or map title for selection by the user,
instead of the file name.  This would support the use of GUIDs for the
file names, which would guarantee uniqueness, and allow users to adjust
titles without having to manage ditamaps, related-links, or xrefs.