[Bulk] Re: DITA file naming conventions

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 3 12:34:56 PDT 2011

>For what it's worth, the DITA Style Guide recommends using names that match the titles.

Since we are using a shared drive on my computer and no automated way to change file names and have the change cascade through our "system", that approach doesn't work for us. Partly because titles change, but also it makes it hard to visually identify the file you want in a list of files. Even though we didn't do this at first (live and learn), giving files an index type of name groups like files together and makes it easier to locate a file visually. Furthermore, even if the title changes, it is less likely that subject of the topic will.

Horse for courses, as they say.

Nadine