Structured FM, DITA, and DOCX

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Mon Nov 14 12:04:39 PST 2011

Hi Rene...

You can create a mixed-source (structured and unstructured) FM book
using your existing TCS tools set, and publish online Help via RH.
However, maintaining that book might be a little tricky and error prone
since you'll need to manually manage the book properties.

Our plugin, DITA-FMx, does support the automated assembly of FM books
from DITA and unstructured files. This process will let you produce the
same FM book you'll get from standard FM processes but will be more
consistent and save you time with each book-build.

To add the DOCX files into the mix, you might want to consider WebWorks,
which can generate output from a mix of Word, FM
(structured/unstructured), and DITA .. not part of your current toolset,
but might be worth the cost if you really need to integrate with Word files.

A DOCX file is a collection of XML files (in a ZIP archive), so in
theory you could create a process that extracted the necessary content
files and parsed them with XSLT to create a DITA (or other XML) files.
The only tool I'm aware of that does this is the word2dita DITA
OpenToolkit plugin that's part of the DITA4Publishers plugin. I've not
tried this myself yet, but I'm sure it works reasonably well. Just how
you'd incorporate that into a workflow might be up for discussion. (If
you're interested in exploring this word2dita plugin, I'd be happy to
help out .. contact me off list.  :)

Cheers,

...scott

--