Xml editors?

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Mon Nov 14 13:35:21 PST 2011

Hi Steve...

Yes .. this should theoretically work fine. A couple issues ..

- Depending on the "free XML editor" they may not be able to make
effective use of DITA features (like conrefs, keyrefs, etc.), but if
they are just creating basic content it should be fine.

- Be sure that the DOCTYPE declaration in the DITA files they create
contains a Public ID that matches that defined in the FrameMaker
structured application definitions file. The best thing would be for you
to copy the header from a file that you've created in FM and let them
use that as the "template" (or if the editor provides a way to define
the topic template, you can modify it to be something that works for you).

Cheers,

...scott