Training for FrameMaker 10 and S1000D

Owen, Clint Clint.Owen at craneaerospace.com
Tue Nov 22 15:49:55 PST 2011

To anyone offering FrameMaker training:

S1000D is a documentation standard that was developed in Europe for
military use, but is now being widely adopted by Aerospace companies
around the world. Theoretically, it's a framework to create any kind of
documentation, from paper parts lists to maintenance procedures with 3D
graphics on your iPhone, all from information modules stored in a
central database. It's a nice vision of the future, but getting from
here to there is the big (expensive) problem.

FrameMaker 10 seems to have quite a lot of S1000D support built in, such
as the means to interact with a common source database and the ability
to validate data modules against business rules, etc., but we are having
trouble making any practical use of it.

Is anyone offering a course yet on using FrameMaker to support an S1000D
implementation? We have been to some free seminars and watched plenty of
Webinars, but they were mostly sales pitches on the benefits of the
standard without any practical value. We need to move ahead with a real
solution, because we have customers that are starting to request
documentation that meets the new standard.

I would love to hear from any of you trainers about what resources you
have available. We would really like to keep using FrameMaker as the
basis for our documentation, rather than start with something completely
new. It would be a big plus if the training was available in the Seattle
area.

Thanks,

Clint

Clint Owen | Sr. Technical Writer | Crane Aerospace & Electronics | +1
425 743 8674 | Fax: +1 425 743 8113
Check out the new Crane Aerospace & Electronics Newsroom!
http://newsroom.craneae.com
Like us on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Crane-Aerospace-Electronics/163305413682908

We value your opinion!  How may we serve you better?
Please click the survey link to tell us how we are doing:
http://www.craneae.com/ContactUs/VoiceofCustomer.aspx
Your feedback is of the utmost importance to us. Thank you for your time.
Crane Aerospace & Electronics Confidentiality Statement:
The information contained in this email message may be privileged and is
confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any
unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from
your electronic files.