Conditional text and templates

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Wed Nov 30 16:39:44 PST 2011

Hi Laura

By "template", I assume you mean paragraph styles etc?

I think I'd deal with it by having two templates - default and custom -
and importing settings from each in turn. I'd write the text with one
template applied and then import the other to check it.

You may already realise this, but if you've got 30% of the text
different, you need to be careful about your conditional text scheme. It
becomes a balancing act between readability (of your source fm file) and
reuse. My very rough rule of thumb is to have no more than 1/3 of a
"block" conditioned. Eg if more than 1/3 of the paragraphs in a section
are conditioned, I'll make and condition multiple copies of the section
instead. If more than 1/3 of the sections in a chapter are conditioned,
I'll make multiple chapters instead.

Cheers
Rebecca