Deleting backup files

Wed Nov 30 22:52:44 PST 2011

Theresa de Valence wrote:

> Could someone please give me a command for deleting backup files in
> Windows (Windows 7)?
>
> This is for the end of the project when I am no longer opening all the
> working files.
>
> I'd like the command to work in the current directory and all
> subdirectories.
>
> I vaguely remember how to do this in DOS, but I don't know how to
> navigate directories which are longer than 8 chars!

Syed provided good instructions for doing it at the command prompt and with a batch file. But if you're more comfortable staying in Windows, you can do it pretty easily in Windows Explorer.

1) In Windows Explorer, navigate to the parent directory of the subdirectories you want to clean.

2) In the search box at the upper right, enter *.backup.*

Windows finds all the backup files in the current directory and all its subdirectories. If you have View set to Details, you can see the full path for each file, along with the usual date/type/size info.

3) Select a file and press Ctrl+A to select all the files in the list. Then press Delete.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom