Long shot: browsers invoked by 'message URL'

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 09:11:05 PDT 2011

Following on from previous discussion of FrameMaker's message client, I have another small issue that's bothering me. I'd better prefix this with an apology: I *know* that this problem is due to my using an ancient and obsolete version of FrameMaker (v 7 for Mac), but if I upgrade it will be very costly and also leave me with a Mac that won't run other software that is essential. Also, FrameMaker 7 for Mac does everything I need.

Anyway... FrameMaker 7 for Mac seems to have an ancient version (2!?) of the Netscape browser embedded in it in some way I've not been able to fox out. This is launched for, for example, the online help. But, while PDFs created from FrameMaker 7 correctly ask the platform's preferences about what browser to invoke when a 'message URL' hypertext link is clicked, this ancient Netscape is invoked - and falls over - if the link is tested from the source FrameMaker document itself.

Is there any way to change FrameMaker's behavior in this respect?

And if anyone from Adobe reads this, I started with FrameMaker v 3 and dutifully bought upgrades until you guys obsoleted the product, so thanks for closing off the upgrade path.

--
Steve