XREF bug with conditional text

Johan Anglemark johan.anglemark at iar.com
Tue Oct 11 02:01:27 PDT 2011

This is a bug we've experienced at least since Frame 8 and we've finally
tired of it (we're using Frame 10 now). I have found nothing when
googling or in the Adobe Support forums.

The bug is simple to describe: For cross-reference formats that use the
<Default ¶ Font> tag, if a cross-reference is tagged as conditional, the
part of the cross-reference that falls outside of the <Font tag><Default
¶ Font> pair sometimes loses the conditioning.

For example, I have an XREF format defined as:

<Reference><$paratext><Default ¶ Font>, page <$pagenum>

A cross-reference might look like this:

See CHAPTER ABOUT FEATURE A, page 66.

Because this cross-reference points to a chapter that is only included
for products with feature A, we have given it the condition "A only"
which is set to hide when we generate the documentation for product B.

However, after updating the book, ", page 66" will be without the
condition tag and thus visible in all PDF versions. Apparently,
sometimes the <Default ¶ Font> tag terminates the condition and not just
the font tag.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a workaround? A fix?

Johan
--
Johan Anglemark, Technical Communicator & Localization Manager.
IAR Systems AB