Making custom page numbers with Framemaker 10

Jeff Pfeifer Jeff.Pfeifer at lindsay.com
Wed Oct 19 15:08:21 PDT 2011

All advice would be greatly appreciated. My situation is one of my 400 page part manuals has a page numbering convention that is being driven by an outside source.  In other words, part numbers that other people reference are driven off the page numbers of my manuals.
I didn't set it up this way, I actually inherited this ordeal when I got the job.

Regardless, when I go to add pages to my manuals now I have to assign page numbers such as 14A, 14B and so on, behind page 14. Thus the original page 15 must remain page 15. Easy enough, however, through automatic page numbering, when I insert these pages 14A and 14B, my original page 15 is now actually page 17 and displays the page number as page 17, naturally.  But I need to trick a variable to think it's page 15 still.

Is there a variable out there that I can use that will allow me to manipulate the automatic page numbering so that it "leaps" over these alpha-numeric page numbers and continues from where it left off?

Again, thanks for any assistance.

Jeff