Diff/Merge tool

Gyanesh Talwar gyanesh.talwar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 03:29:58 PDT 2011

Doug,

Unstructured FrameMaker 10 is compatible with Sharepoint and Documentum for
diff and other versioning features:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/index.html

With structured FrameMaker, the possibilities are much more. If you use
XML/DITA roundtripping, SVN will manage those files excellently. Just like
the code, multiple people will be able to work on the same files.

You can try doing a pilot  - it will give you a good idea if moving to
structured FrameMaker makes sense for you.

Cheers,
Gyanesh

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Andrew Warren <awarren at synaptics.com>wrote:

> McKinney, Doug wrote:
>
> > Our Tech Pubs department (as well as our firmware group) are in the
> > process of converting our versioning application from Visual
> > SourceSafe to TortoiseSVN. I am looking for a Diff/Merge tool that is
> > compatible with FrameMaker 9.
>
> There is none... Which is ok because when you add a Framemaker file to your
> Subversion repository, it'll be treated as a binary file and SVN won't
> diff/merge it anyway.
>
> SVN allows multiple developers to simultaneously modify line-based
> source-code files, but it will not allow multiple developers to
> simultaneously modify Framemaker files.  Under SVN, your editing process
> will be as it was under VSS: Frame files will be editable by only one person
> at a time.
>
> -Andrew
>
> === Andrew Warren  - awarren at synaptics.com
> === Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA