Using Frame in the epub process

Keith.Soltys at tmx.com Keith.Soltys at tmx.com
Wed Oct 26 13:38:35 PDT 2011

> I’ve a 75,000 word story (fiction) which I’m trying to turn into an
> ebook. I use Calibre (www.calibre-ebook.com) for my ebook library
> management which will also convert files to epub. The problem I’m having

> is figuring out how to get the file in the right format before I give it

> to Calibre’s input Plugin which then converts the file to XHTML. Calibre

> takes that XHTML and returns an epub and then converts that epub to
> multiple ebook formats.
>
> Can Frame create the XHTML? Should I be using structured Framemaker? Do
> other people on this forum publish ebooks?
>
> Thanks for your advice.

Just out of curiousity, I took a WebWorks ePublisher project which I'd
used to create web-based help and added an ePub target to the project.

The result was very good - about 90 percent was fine. There were a few
things that I'd have to fix, mostly involving tables, but I don't think it
would take much work (hours, not days) to come up with a perfectly usuable
ePub book.

A couple of caveats:

- I was working from a fairly clean, unstructured, FrameMaker book and a
WebWorks template that has already undergone several releases and
revisions. If you're not familiar with WebWorks, it might take some time
to get to that point.

- I used the ePUBReaer add-in for Firefix to view the results. I don't
have an eBook reader that will read ePub-format eBooks (I have a Kindle).
So there might be issues that would be apparent on an eBook reader that I
can't see in the PC version.

Still, it's pretty impressive performance for something that took me about
5 minutes to set up and run.

Regards
Keith
--
Keith Soltys
Senior Technical Writer

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail, including all materials contained in or attached to this e-mail, contains proprietary and confidential information solely for the internal use of the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or otherwise and ensure that it is permanently deleted from your systems, and do not print, copy, distribute or read its contents.

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ
Le présent courriel, y compris tous les documents qu'il contient ou qui y sont joints, renferme des renseignements exclusifs et confidentiels destinés uniquement à l'usage interne du destinataire prévu. Si vous avez reçu le présent courriel par erreur, veuillez nous aviser immédiatement, notamment par retour de courriel, et vous assurer qu'il est supprimé de façon permanente de vos systèmes; veuillez également vous abstenir d'imprimer, de copier, de distribuer ou de lire son contenu.