Pagination issues in a book

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 05:54:16 PDT 2011

I think your "WHY, WHY, WHY" reaction indicates that you need to step back a bit and adjust your thinking a little.

The fundamental issue is that you should not be mixing single-sided and double-sided pages in the same book. If you want to have pages that have content on only one side, you need to treat them as double-sided pages that have blank verso faces. Any other apporach has the possibility to produce highly unconventional page numbering. For example, if you had three SS pages before your DS pages start, you'd wind up with that first DS page, a recto, with an even page number all the following 2-page spreads with the odd number on the verso and even on the recto.

The reason why the TOC always changes to "make page count even" is that it *must* have that setting if the next book component starts on a right page because you cannot make the verso side of a double-sided page disappear. If the TOC is defined as double-sided but only has an odd number of non-empty pages, then the you have two choices:
- if the followng book component must start on a recto, the TOC *must* be set to "make page count even" so that it accounts for the empty verso
- if you need to eliminate the empty page, you must allow the following book component to start on either a verso or recto (something that you generally cannot do if you have a special master page for the first page of the chapter) by setting its pagination to "start on next available".

If you need to eliminate all empty pages (your statement "page count is king" seems to imply this), the easiest way to accomplish this is to forgo mirrored page layouts and treat the book as all single-sided components. But if you intend to produce bound books, you have to recognize that physical pages are inherently double-sided (even if one side is empty) and must be accounted for.

If you want all the pages you've identified as SS to appear on recto pages of your final product (with blank versos), your book wants to be set up as follows:

cover page -- DS, starts on right, make page count even
copyright page -- DS, strarts on right, make page count even
TOC -- DS, starts on right, make page count even
Volume Page -- DS, start on right, make page count even
Chapter 1 -- DS, start on right (specified master page), make page count even
Chapter 2 --  DS, start on right (specified master page), make page count even
etc.
Volume Page -- DS, start on right, make page count even
Chapter -- DS, start on right (specified master page), make page count even
etc., etc....
back page -- DS, start on right, make page count even

As an alternative, if you want the copyright page on the back of the cover page, the first three files would be set up as follows:
cover page -- DS, starts on right, delete empty pages
copyright page -- DS, strarts on next available, make page count even
TOC -- DS, starts on right, make page count even

-Fred Ridder

I need your help overcoming a pagination problem I cannot comprehend that has me yelling out “WHY-WHY-WHY?!” like Captain Binghamton from McHale’s Navy fame.

XP sp3 with all updates
FM 7.1 p114

I have a book with the following file layout:
cover page (single sided-SS)
copyright page (SS)
TOC (DS)
Volume Page-one page (SS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
Volume Page-one page (SS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
etc., etc....
back page (SS)

In the book, I have all DS files as 1st page “read from file”, while all the single pages are singled sided. In the file I have all DS files as 1st page “right”.

To begin with, I want to see how the book looks for binding without adding any blank pages (page count is king on this one) but in some chapters I went certain pages to be on facing pages, but they are deeper in the book. I figure that if I can manage the previous files up to that point, I can adjust the pagination in those files.

While attempting to do this, for some reason beyond me, my TOC always changes to “make page count even” even after I delete the cover and copyright ahead of it and make it the lead file. What is going on? And then in later files I get some with page count even or odd. There seems to be some kind of automatic FM pagination going on that I do not know.

I’d GREATLY appreciate some assistance understanding FM pagination philosophy and any other suggestions that might save me from creating my own pagination pit of despair!

Thanks in advance.

Jim Duszynski
Skyline Products, Inc
Technical Writer
(719) 392-9046, Ext. 311

_______________________________________________ You are currently subscribed to framers as DocuDoc at hotmail.com. Send list messages to framers at lists.frameusers.com. To unsubscribe send a blank email to framers-unsubscribe at lists.frameusers.com or visit http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/docudoc%40hotmail.com Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com. Visit http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.