Printing a ditamap file structure

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 06:05:33 PDT 2011

Hi Roger

I'm using FrameMaker 9.0p255 in Windows XP, but I'm seeing the same behavior
over here. My workarounds:

   - Save the ditamap as Fm 8, open the .fm file in Fm8 and save it as PDF.
   No problem.
   - Open the ditamap in the free IBM Task Modeler. There, you have some
   nice views for your ditamap, for example hierarchical diagram (like PostIt
   notes) or indented list. You can simply print this view to a PDF file.

Kind regards

Yves

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Roger Shuttleworth <
rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com> wrote:

> **
> Hello All
>
> I just came across this today, and wonder if anyone can confirm:
>
> FrameMaker 9.0 p255 on Vista.
>
> I have a ditamap and want to print it so I can see the outline (that is,
> not print the XML but just the file as it appears in the FM UI). The map is
> the only file I have open.
>
> If I choose File, Print, it prompts me for a ditaval file. There is an
> option to skip that step, in which case nothing happens. Poof. It's as
> though I'd not come to work today. (If only...)
>
> If I do choose a ditaval file by selecting and clicking Choose...nothing
> happens. Poof. It's as though I'd not come to work today.
>
> Trying the same from the Resource Manager, there is an option File, Print
> Ditamap. Again it prompts me for a ditaval file. Even if I choose one,
> nothing happens. Poof (you get the idea).
>
> There are no secret dialogs open and hidden behind other applications, and
> no spooler processes running in the background. It just does nothing.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?
>
> Roger Shuttleworth
> Technical Documentation
> AV-BASE Systems Inc.