Numbering problems in a book

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 5 12:48:42 PDT 2012

What does the format definition for your "Figure No." cross-reference format look like?
I'm guessing that it looks like "Figure <n>", which specifies the literal string you are seeing.
What it needs to look like is "Figure <$paranum>" or "Figure <$paranumonly>".
The "<n>" building block is only used in the Autonumbering properties of a paragraph format definition.
When you're referring to a numbered item in a cross-reference, you need to use the system variables that are presented in the Building Blocks list of the Edit Cross-Reference Format dialog. Anything you specify in that dialog that is not a system variable (all of which start with a $ character and are enclosed in angle brackets) is literal text that will appear in the cross-refernce results exactly as typed.

-Fred Ridder