Frame to pdf, Bookmark control

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon Apr 9 03:12:29 PDT 2012

Theresa,

You wrote:

>Frame 8, Acrobat Pro X
>
>Dear Framers,
>
>I have a book of >100 short fiction stories (i.e. 25 words long). Each
>story starts at the top of a new frame on the master page (4 to a page).
 >From the top, there is:
>-Author (Heading3)
>-Author weblink (Link)
>-Title (Heading2)
>-Story (Body)
>
>When I save this document to pdf, bookmarks are created using Paragraph
>tags (Heading3, Heading2).
>
>The difficulty is that when the pdf View>Page Display is set to Enable
>Scrolling--when one clicks on the pdf bookmarks for Title, the display
>puts the Title at the top of view which means that the author has
>disappeared and it seems as though the author of the following story
>belongs to the current story. ...

FrameMaker named destinations (used by bookmarks/links) point to the
horizontal/vertical location of the target on the page, not just to the
page itself. This is recommended in almost all cases.
No way to control this from FrameMaker or Acrobat (other than setting the
initial page view in Acrobat to Single Page + Fit Page).

[For use in exceptional cases: a function in my FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers add-on optionally adjusts all automatically-generated named
destinations; no change is necessary in source FM files, all
bookmarks/links are affected]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

1-Hour Webinars (free; starting 10am PT)
* Testing Your PDFs: Overview, April 17 http://linkd.in/HJwhE5
* Better PDFs with FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers, April 19
http://linkd.in/HZqu99
* Liven Up Your PDFs with FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants, May
1 http://linkd.in/Hfou1Q