Cross References in Text Insets

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Thu Apr 12 13:43:19 PDT 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:43:23 -0600, Joy Kocar
<kocar.joy at gmail.com> wrote:

>Cross-references from one inset to another don't seem
>to work. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know!

It's a bit tricky.  First of all, you need to place
the xref marker directly in the inset file, not in
the container.  Do that by creating an xref to the
para you want in the inset file itself, saving the
inset file, then deleting the xref you just created.
That leaves the necessary marker in place.

Now, if you want an xref to a specific instance of
the inset in a container, make your xref to the
container file, not the inset, and select the marker
you created in the inset, which will appear in the
marker list for the container.

To make an xref from an inset file to another inset,
you need to open the referencing inset file itself,
then open the container for the referenced inset,
and select the pre-created marker in it as above.

It doesn't make sense to reference an inset file
directly, outside its container, unless the inset
file is itself being used as a chapter file.

If you are referencing between two insets in the same
container file, you still need to create the xref
directly in one inset file, referencing a marker
in the other via the container file.  So if you
want to re-use the same pair of insets in multiple
containers, you will need a separate xref for each
container, using conditional text to exclude the
ones you don't need in each instance.  This gets
hard to maintain pretty fast, but it is possible.

For detailed step-by-step instructions, see par.
2.5.4, "Setting up cross references to and from
text insets", in the Mif2Go User's Guide, which
contains lots of helpful info even if you are not
using Mif2Go:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/ohusergd/

HTH!