FrameMaker10 deleting files from hard drive when generating TOC, LOF, LOT

Lavoie Jean-Philippe jplav21 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 11:08:12 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I came across an interesting bug while using FrameMaker 10
(windows 7) last week and was wondering if any of you experienced the same and
could advice so that it does not happen again in the future.

The problem:

I created a book and included several sections/files to
create a user manual. Once finished writing the manual, I added a TOC by first
selecting the book and I clicked Add -> Table of Contents. I selected the
tags to include and created the TOC. The normal behavior of Frame when creating
the TOC is to open each section, look for tags and then close the file.

The interesting part is that while creating the TOC, Frame
generated a few errors and “physically deleted” some of my Frame files from the
hard drive. The book error log gave me an error like “cannot open xxxxx.fm
because it does not exist. I can assure you that before creating the TOC, all
book links to sections worked fine and all files were in the same directory. I
then started to look for the “missing” file reported by frame. Not only I could
no longer find the file in the directory but I was not able to find it anywhere
else on my hard drive or in the trash can.

I had a backup and was able to restore the missing file.
Then, I added a LOF to my book. This time, Frame deleted 2 other files from my
book and from my hard drive … I restored the files, restarted my computer and
updated the book without any problems this time.

I have since been scared to click “update book”!

Has anyone observed the same problem? Any advice?