An apology to Adobe staff who have helped others and to Dov Isaacs who, have contributed mightily to this list.

Rob Shell rshell at iafrica.com
Thu Aug 2 04:01:01 PDT 2012

Hi Framers.
An apology to Adobe staff who have helped others, [but not me!}  and
especially to Dov Isaacs and others who have contributed mightily to this
list.

What I would like to reiterate and why I keep complaining is that pricey
revisions which do not really improve stability are extremely hard to
swallow. I am not simply criticizing for the sake of mouthing off. I earn my
living with FM9 and I am not going anywhere else.

I believe that that much FrameMaker information is locked away from users.
For example, how would the FM user interpret the following set of error
messages which I received today?
Framemaker error
 9004
8847891
5207138
5269791

Would the Adobe Forums help? No post on the forum for these.
Would Google help? No hits
Would the manuals help? Hell, no

I have spent a lifetime working on computers in every conceivable situation
from mainframes to laptops and I know what a good manual is. Alas,
FrameMaker does not have one.
An example of a bad manual might be the IBM JCL manual [Job control
language] while a good manual might be the SPSS manual. {Statistical
Package] Perhaps the best software manual ever written.

As Software manufacturers retreated from print manuals, a market gap opened
for the "missing" manuals.  These increased the cost of the product and
simply are not good enough except to start.

Since we pay top dollar for Adobe products, perhaps we can be assured of a
review of their manual policy.

Rob Shell
Windows Seven
FrameMaker 9 patched