Template for four-page brochure?

David Artman david at davidartman.com
Mon Aug 6 13:36:47 PDT 2012

You have answered your own question--see below:

> I neglected to add that we will distribute this document in two ways:
>
> 1. Physically along with the hardware product
>
> 2. In PDF form from the web site

The (2) means you should build it as Letter and have the printer impose
it into a "2-Up, Duplex" booklet on 11x17. End users that pull it off of
the web (a) won't know WHAT to do with a pre-imposed booklet and (b)
easily can MAKE it a booklet (or a single-side 4-Up, or a four-page
stack) as they see fit with most modern printers' driver settings.

Relative file size of the two deliverables is managed simply by having
one print-to-PDF setting for the booklet's printer (high DPI; maximal
font embedding; overprint/undercolor settings; etc) and one for the
print-to-PDF setting for the web (compressed, maybe a little lossy,
maybe 150 DPI max, strip special printer control codes, add bookmarks
and tagging, etc).

If you are attempting to deliver a single PDF file for both media
(printer and web) then you've got some tough decisions to make
surrounding print quality versus file size online (and customer
bandwidth). I would advise against trying to do it that way at
all--that's what PDF Settings on BOOK files in FM is FOR! ;)

HTH;
David