Graphic import > object facets problem

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 07:57:35 PDT 2012

Chris Coggins wrote:

>What is happening on the problem user's computer is that the frame file he generates
>retains the object faces PDF and EPSI, and also adds a FrameImage facet after going
>through the same steps listed above. His frame files are enormous, 19 megs for the same
>file used above, and the resulting PDF files are also huge (17megs). When compiled into a
>complete book, he's generating 200meg PDFs whereas the rest of us are only putting out
>10meg books.
>
>Can someone help me understand what's happening during the import/embed process
>and why we're getting different results across our users?

Generation of a FrameImage version of imported graphics is an option that is enabled/
disabled from the Preferences dialog It's in the Compatibility Preferences section and it's
called somethng like Save FrameImage with Imported Graphics.

FrameImage is an archaic and largely obsolete method for ensuring cross-platform
portability of graphics. The idea was that if FrameMaker stored a version of the graphic
in a format that it was guaranteed to understand, it wouldn't matter whether the original
graphics was in a UNIX-specific, Windows-specific, or Mac-specific file format. But since
only the Windows version of FrameMaker is still a living product, there's no point to
FrameImage. And that's doubly true if you're already usiung PDF, which is highly portable.

-Fred Ridder