How to reset Frame's Default Configuration

Thu Aug 23 09:14:28 PDT 2012

Thomas, Lynn wrote:

> I inadvertently converted my user variables to text in one of my
> documents.

*All* user variables? How? Via Special > Variable, you'd have to do them one at a time.

> I luckily had a another copy of the document stored
> elsewhere so I simply replaced my document. Unfortunately, I am still
> unable to edit user variables.

When you go to Special > Variable, and in the Variable dialog, select a user variable and click Edit Definition, does the Edit User Variable dialog open? IOW, what step in editing user variables are you unable to do?

> It seems that this dumb change I made
> was to FrameMaker (version 9, p255) and not to the actual document. I
> looked in the maker.ini file to see if there was a setting I could
> change and revert back to its original configuration but I didn't see
> anything related to variables.

That's because there isn't anything variable-related in maker.ini, and there's no variable-related dumb change that you could have made to FM. Can you edit the file? (It's possible to accidentally put a file into read-only mode, but then you can't edit the text either.)

> I also tried replacing the maker.ini
> file with a backup but that didn't work either. I did find a setting
> for variables in the mif2rtf.ini file , and changed it to
> ConvertVariables=No but again, that didn't change anything.

Whoa, you're way off base here -- mif2rtf.ini is a Mif2Go config file, not an FM config file. It governs the conversion process when you use Mif2Go to export an FM file to Word.

> I then
> completely uninstalled FrameMaker and reinstalled it but it is still
> keeping my original configuration and will not let me edit my user
> variables. Does anyone know how I can reset Frame to its original
> default configuration or at least get the option to edit my user
> variables back?

Re-installsheimer's disease, as Dov Isaacs calls it. Your problem isn't an FM install/config problem. But I think you need to clarify exactly what steps you take and what doesn't work before anyone can help you.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom