Directed arrows

David Artman david at davidartman.com
Thu Aug 23 06:31:41 PDT 2012

> use Wingdings
> Alt+0216 for a stylized arrow in procs. For example, "Click Start >
> SomethingElse > SomethingElse."

> I'm trying to define this as a Character style but all I can seem to
> accomplish is the font family, not the decimal symbol character code
> Alt+0216.

I would define your character style ("ding") and make it bold or
whatever you're doing to the surround text in such a menu path.

Then create a variable ("arrow" or some other name whose first letter is
unique amongst your variable names) for inserting the arrow using Ctrl+0
(zero). Define it as:

<ding>Ø<Default ¶ Font>

[Heck... might as well put the spaces in there, too, to save two
keystrokes--I'd go non-breaking for readability, at least for the
leading space. So:]

 <ding>Ø<Default ¶ Font>

So now, when you need to type it, you press: Ctrl+0, then A, then Enter.

That should be tons faster than pressing: Alt+0216, Shift+Left Arrow,
F8, D, Enter.

And should you decide to return to the very popular standard of using an
angle bracket, you can just edit the variable to " > " and it will all
change at once.

HTH;
David