Spurious unresolved cross references

Thu Aug 23 09:31:10 PDT 2012

Keith Soltys wrote:

> I have a FrameMaker 10 book that is reporting several unresolved cross
> references when I update the book. I've tried deleting them and
> replacing them several times and I still get the errors. However, the
> links work perfectly when I use WebWorks ePublisher to create a web
> version of book.
>
> Any suggestions as to what might be going on?

When you update the book, in order to update numbering and resolve cross-references, FM has to open (in the background) each file in the book. If something (unavailable fonts, etc.) prevents it from silently opening a file, it can't resolve cross-references to that file.

Workaround: Open all files in the book before updating the book (at the book window, hold Shift and go to File > Open All Files in Book). You'll get an error message to acknowledge for each file that FM can't open automatically. Fix those errors to resolve this permanently.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom