FrameMaker 10 Crashes When Saving a Book with Conditional Text and TT Edits

Joseph Lorenzini jaloren at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:25:33 PDT 2012

Hi All,

Until quite recently, I was the sole technical writer at my company. In the
last few months, a new writer was hired on. To review the edits he made to
the documentation, he turned on track text edits. In addition, he
occasionally applied conditional text to new text that he wrote. This meant
that the green TT conditional text is applied indicating new text AND
conditional text is applied to that text. Before he did this, the
FrameMaker book would update and save without a problem. I have had this
book for years and it has rarely ever experienced a crash or corruption.
After he did this, each time I update the book, FrameMaker would crash. The
moment I removed the specific sections of text that have TT edits and
conditional text applied, the crashes no longer occurred.

Has anyone seen anything like this or know how to work around this?  Its
really frustrating and a shame because I think this means that conditional
text and TT edits are mutually exclusive and if you combine them you risk
crashing FrameMaker.

Here's some relevant information for debugging the issue:

--the write and I are on machines with almost identical specs: Win 7
Enterprise 64 bit, Solid State drives, 4 GB of RAM, Intel Core i5 CPU
--the writer and i are on TCS 3.5.
--we are both using Framemaker 10
--we do not work off a network share. Instead we use SVN.

Thanks,
Joe