Table that won't sort correctly

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 06:26:25 PST 2012

At 09:05 -0500 7/12/12, John Sgammato wrote:

>Before "fixing" it - are you certain that the invisible character does not contain information that you will need someday?

Yes, absolutely sure. But you make a good point.

> For example, maybe those rows belong together? Somehow the gremlin character got there, and it may not have been unintentional.

Not in this case. The book's author put his references at the end of each chapter in the Word ms (the usual Word mess ;-), and I am quite a long way down the road of combining, collating, sorting and eliminating duplicates from them in Frame. Once sorted, all the '[ref]' references will become hypertext destinations.

[Aside: it has been a joy... not. I have seen more character corruption with this Word import than ever before. Maybe because the author's native language is Spanish, all the quote marks and about half the dashes imported as accented characters that only occur in Hispanic languages.]

>If you know they are indeed spurious, then maybe you can Find and Change *[ to [ in that column.

This doesn't seem to work. The find works, but the gremlin still seems to be there after the change operation.

I might have to delve into MIF with a text editor, but I'd rather find a Frame-friendly cure if possible. Here's the MIF of an offending '<something>[' pair:

      <ParaLine
        <String `['>
        <String `Bas06]'>
       > # end of ParaLine

In order words, what should be '[Bas06]' is in two parts in the MIF.

Huh???

>ps thanks for the Structured FM help, you and everyone. I have been successful, but there is more to do before I report back.

Welcome, and good luck.

--
Steve [Trim e-mails: use less disk, use less power, use less planet]