Do FrameMaker files automatically get updated when you print as PDF?

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Fri Dec 7 11:48:01 PST 2012

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 11:21:17 -0700, "Fei Min Lorente"
<FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com> wrote:

>Trying to get an autobuild system to work with FrameMaker 10 on Windows
>7, with Acrobat X. Producing PDF and Eclipse User Assistance output
>through Mif2Go.
>
>The build scripts appear to work for all the book files, but we are
>getting failures on a couple of files that are single .fm files, not
>part of books.

If you are using runfm, you need to specify the right
switch in each case, -book or -doc.  There is no way
we can determine that automatically, as Frame allows
selection of both a current book and a current file
at the same time.  If you specify -doc but no -book,
and a book that contains that doc is also open, we
detect that and treat the doc conversion as an update
to the corresponding book project.  So if you really
want the doc to be standalone, make sure you close
any book that contains it first.

>So we're thinking of making the processing conditional so
>that we don't run an "update book" on single files.

We don't use GenerateBook=Yes for single files in any
case; the Frame API, F_ApiSimpleGenerate(), is specific
to books.  Your problem is most likely using the wrong
runfm switch.  If you try "-book chapter.fm" it fails,
correctly, since the chapter file is not a book file.

>However, some of
>those single files might contain internal cross-references. So my
>question is this: when we print to PDF (using Mif2Go), will those
>cross-references get updated automatically? Basically, do we have to
>worry about updating references before generating the output files when
>it's not a book file?

The cross-reference updating, along with updating
variables and reformatting the doc, happen as part
of template import, not as part of book generation.
So if you are importing a template to the single
file, those will work just the same as for a book.

HTH!

  <jeremy at omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/