Table that won't sort correctly

John Sgammato john.sgammato at actifio.com
Fri Dec 7 06:05:02 PST 2012

Before "fixing" it - are you certain that the invisible character does not
contain information that you will need someday? For example, maybe those
rows belong together? Somehow the gremlin character got there, and it may
not have been unintentional.
If you know they are indeed spurious, then maybe you can Find and Change *[
to [ in that column.
john

ps thanks for the Structured FM help, you and everyone. I have been
successful, but there is more to do before I report back.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Steve Rickaby <
srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Title says it all. Material sourced from Word (groan): I suspect gremlin
> characters are messing up sort.
>
> I need to alpha-sort some 60 pp. Each entry starts with '[ref]' in left
> column, where 'ref' is the reference marker. When sorted on col 1, the
> results aren't alpha. Some sorting has taken place, but not a lot. There
> may be gremlins: in many lines, positioning the insert cursor at the start
> of the line and pressing the right arrow key does not advance the cursor
> past the '[' until the right arrow key is pressed again.
>
> Copying one of the offending '<invisible character>[' pairs to the Find
> dialog fails to find the character pair. However, searching for '^[' with
> wildcards on shows that the not-sorted lines do not start with just '[',
> even though that's all that is visible. Equally, lines that *have* sorted
> ok *do* start with just '['.
>
> So: I know why it's not working, but no how to fix it.
>
> Helpful ideas, anyone?
>
> FrameMaker 7.0p757 for Mac.
> --
> Steve
> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/john.sgammato%40actifio.com

*John Sgammato  *

Documentation Architect

*e* john.sgammato at actifio.com

*w* +1-781.890.2950 x7652

    *Recover anything instantly for up to 90% less than you're paying now.*