Table that won't sort correctly: wash-up

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Sun Dec 9 10:49:20 PST 2012

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 12:52:59 +0000, Steve Rickaby
<srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Clearly one of the things that FrameMaker does when parsing
>MIF is to spot adjacent strings like this and concatenate
>them. Useful to know. Why the text came out of Word like
>this is another question altogether. But with Word, who knows?

Frame always merges MIF strings unless there is really
something in between them.  So what the pattern:

 <ParaLine
  <String `['>
  <String `xxxx]'>
 > # end of ParaLine

suggests to me is that there *was* something in between,
like a control char, that Frame could not represent in MIF.

I'd advise that MIF wash is always the *least* you should
do after using Frame's very dirty native import from Word.
Actually, you are better off to copy and "paste special"
as Plain Text, then redo the formatting.  MIF wash will
not fix all the nasties in there, which are likely to
bite you again and again, and you'll have no idea why...

MIF wash can be inconvenient, but it's one menu pick
if you install the demo (or full) version of Mif2Go.
Select a book, and it does the book file and all the
chapters with one click, usually in a few seconds.
The demo never expires, and works with all Frame
versions from 5.5.6 to 11, and all Windows from NT
3.51 to Win 8.  I use Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit myself.

To download the demo, create a free account on:
  http://mif2go.com
put something Frame-related in the bio (needed to
screen out spammers; as of today, we have blocked
135 of them), then use Download | Demo Software
on the left menu.  Follow the five-minute install
instructions on the Web page and in the User's
Guide; don't try to guess at them!

Enjoy!

  <jeremy at omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/