Frame 11 Stability - Upgrade or Downgrade the new copy to Frame 9? HELP

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 07:17:55 PST 2012

I've had pretty good luck with FM 9, 10 and 11 and have used all three in production settings over that last 8 months. There are quirks in all of them although I would have to say the 11 is the best (now that that update has minimized the crashes). The new "features" and interface changes in each can be frustrating to acclimate to. However, FM 11 fixed the focus problem with the Find/Change dialog and returned the ability to call up various catalogs with hot keys, both essential features of power users who were driven mad by their removal in earlier versions.
 For those of us who use various versions to match the needs of clients, having to maintain installations of the various versions is a bit clumsy. My primary clients use FM5.5, 6, 7, 9, and 11 so I have various versions on different computers. (Note: Translation work necessitates, at times, return of the translated files in the clients preferred format, and with FDA controlled stuff, mifs throwing out of newer features stuff carries the potential for problems even if no new features were thought to have been used in the handling process.) I'm afraid to update my TCS3 to TCS4 for fear it will cause problems with my access to FM10. (I'm using FM 11 onsite at my current contract job, their licence on one of their computers). Of course I could just buy a whole new license for TCS 4 rather than upgrade, but that expense makes no sense to me at this point, and given that installing CS6 resulted inthe deactivation of my Acrobat license after 30 days, I don't trust Adobe's installers to leave other licenses untouched. Details of my Acrobat deactivation for those who care: Installed CS6 resulting in a "non-installation" of the Acrobat X component since I already had it  installed for TCS3. (A window notified me that Acobat X had not been installed.) However, the deactivation of Acrobat exactly 30 days later convinces me that rather than seeing this as a non-installation, something in the CS6 installer flagged Acrobat as being in the "try out" mode and then deactivated it after 30 days.)  Craig> From: jeff.coatsworth at jonassoftware.com