Cross-reference to a previous file

Roger Shuttleworth shuttie27 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:16:00 PST 2012

Hello All

FM11.0.1.382 on Windows Vista.

I have a FM book that is divided into parts, with divider files that
indicate where a part begins. After the divider file comes the first
chapter in that part. I want to insert a running header/footer to catch
the title from the divider file and put it in the following chapter
files' headers. So for example:
book
   part 1: Inventory
       chapter 1: Setting up inventory

In the header for chapter 1 I want to pick up the word "Inventory" from
my divider file.

I understand that, using <$paratext[paratag]> in the running H/f I can
define the paratag to use, and FrameMaker searches backwards until it
comes across a matching paragraph. But does it search preceding files,
or just the current file? (Because in my testing it only seems to find
things in the current file.)

Thanks.

Roger Shuttleworth
London, Canada