Is FrameMaker 11 going down or is it a keeper?

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Fri Dec 21 14:13:49 PST 2012

The New Zealand Tech Comms Association does an annual salary and tools
survey. It's a self-selected sample so it's probably biased towards
experienced career writers, but in 2011, about 15% of respondents used
Framemaker, from about 7% of companies.

Flare had a few fewer users, so it's not taking over here. Other than
Word, Author-It was the most popular tool. It's a local product so has a
strong following here.

Frame may be coughing a bit but it doesn't seem to be dead!

Don't know about Frame 11 being a keeper. We're still using Frame 10
for production, but I've just finished a good solid bash at using TCS4
to convert a 3000 page book to HTML. Frame 11 didn't crash consistently
like Frame 10 but it still crashed a few times.

Cheers
Rebecca

>>> Keith Soltys <keith.soltys at tmx.com> 21/12/12 08:33 >>>
The number of FrameMaker users was discussed on the FrameMaker History
page some time ago:

http://daube.ch/docu/fmhist00.html

It seems that somewhere upwards of 500,000 would be a reasonable
guess.

Regards
Keith

I might
> perhaps be qualified to comment.
>
> Although I have bought a FrameMaker 10 license to keep on the upgrade
path, I
> am still using FrameMaker 7 on Mac simply because it does everything
I need it
> to, predictably and well, including structured. This situation will
pertain until I
> can no longer support FrameMaker 7 Mac.
>
> I suspect I am not alone in this.
>
> As for numbers of seats, I was told anecdotally a number of years
back by an
> Adobe employee that it was the volume license users such as Boeing
that kept
> the product going.
>
> --
> Steve
> or visit

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/keith.soltys%40tmx.com

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY This e-mail, including all materials
contained in or attached to this e-mail, contains proprietary and
confidential information solely for the internal use of the intended
recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify us
immediately by return e-mail or otherwise and ensure that it is
permanently deleted from your systems, and do not print, copy,
distribute or read its contents.

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ Le présent courriel, y compris tous les
documents qu'il contient ou qui y sont joints, renferme des
renseignements exclusifs et confidentiels destinés uniquement à l'usage
interne du destinataire prévu. Si vous avez reçu le présent courriel par
erreur, veuillez nous aviser immédiatement, notamment par retour de
courriel, et vous assurer qu'il est supprimé de façon permanente de vos
systèmes; veuillez également vous abstenir d'imprimer, de copier, de
distribuer ou de lire son contenu.
or visit
http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/rebecca.officer%40alliedtelesis.co.nz

Scanned by MailMarshal - M86 Security's comprehensive email content security solution.

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.