Find/replace coding to formatting

Cathy Giddens C.Giddens at rawlinsons.co.nz
Mon Feb 6 11:16:18 PST 2012

Patternstream from Finite Matters Ltd would handle this very easily, I do similar projects with data in Excel, all coded for Paragraphs, and with <b>  </b> etc for Character Formatting. My heavily formatted and tabled book of 750 pages takes 17 minutes to run, including TOC's and Index.   The new much smaller project, currently around 60 pages, takes around 20 seconds to generate in Framemaker. The Excel file can be open, as long as changes have been saved, for edits 'on the fly'.   All the indexing and cross-referencing info is held in the Excel file, and instructions create Index and Xref markers in the text as the project runs.

Patternstream's not cheap, but if you can fit it into your budget, or the client's.....  I wouldn't be without it for my projects. There's a fairly steep learning curve, but it was fun to learn, I learnt from the manual and the examples provided, they do run training courses though.

Regards
Cathy Giddens, FNZIQS, Reg QS  |  Managing Editor

Rawlinsons Media Limited
Publisher of Rawlinsons New Zealand Construction Handbook
Level 4, 135 Broadway, Newmarket, PO Box 9804, Newmarket, Auckland 1149
NEW ZEALAND

t:   +64 (0)9 522 4780  |  f:  + 64 (0)9 524 4977  |  m:  + 64 (0)21 354 265
e:  c.giddens at rawlinsons.co.nz  |  w: www.rawlinsons.co.nz

This communication and/or attachment(s) is privileged and confidential and is intended for the sole use of the addressee(s). If you read this message and you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or reproduction of this message, except as intended, is prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and remove all copies of the message, including any attachment(s).   Any views or opinions expressed in this communication (unless otherwise stated) may not represent those of Rawlinsons Media Limited.

Message: 2