FrameMaker 10 Crashes when I do a Find and Replace of a character format

Joseph Lorenzini jaloren at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:10:41 PST 2012

Hi all:

If I do a find and replace of a character format across an entire book,
Framemaker sucks up all the memory on my system and then crashes. I was
wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior.

Steps to Reproduce

1. create a large book that contains several hundred pages and many
framemaker files. Ideally, there should be 20 or so files in it.
2. through out the book, highlight text and then press ctrl+b. This applies
a character format override of bold.
3.  open a framemaker doc from the book.
4. place your cursor in some  body text.
5. open the find dialog box.
6. Set find to character format.
7. In the find char format dialog box, press shift+F8.
8. In the find char format dialog box, press shift+F9.
9. in th find char format dialog box, set the weight to bold and then click
the set button.
10. in the framemaker doc, find some text that has bold override applied to
it and then apply a character format.
11. Use the copy special to copy the character format to your clipboard.
12. close all documents.
13. make sure the book is active.
14. in the find dialog box, set change to "by pasting".
15. select the find button.

System Specs:
Win 7, 64 bit
Processor: Intel Core i5