FrameMaker 10 Crashes when I do a Find and Replace of a character format

Joseph Lorenzini jaloren at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:39:10 PST 2012

Hi Richard,

A framemaker engineer has reached out to me and we are currently in the
process of troubleshooting the problem. If we end up identifying what the
problem is and a workaround, I'll be sure to notify the list serve.

Please keep in mind that the "Character Format" option in the find dialog
box doesn't exist until FM 10.  You can also search for paragraph and
character format overrides which you could not do in previous releases.
Finally, please be aware that this only seems reproducible with some
extremely large books of mine that have been upgraded from FM 9. I can't
reproduce this crash on a smaller book or a book created from scratch, in
those other cases everything works as expected.

In answer to your questions:

1)  I am doing this  because I first want to zero out all the formatting
and then inherit a specific formatting from the body text. this ensures
that i ONLY find text that is bolded and is body text and not finding
bolded paragraphs that are  bolded because of the paragraph format, such as
H1 or H2.

2) I do not  believe I am applying  on top of the format override but
rather replacing the format override with the char tag. When I did my
testing in a single FM file, I tried this once on one piece of text that
had the bold override applied to it. Prior to the the find and replace, I
searched for character format overrides and the find mechanism flagged this
text as having an override. After the find and replace occurred, I searched
for character format overrides and the find mechanism did NOT flag this
text as having an override

3)In the FM data model, my understanding is that part of a character format
is the char tag. So when I do a copy special and copy the character format,
I am getting the character format tag in addition to everything else
associated with the character format.

4) I was doing a find and replace across the entire book. I do this all the
time and when I do I don't have a document open. I've never had a problem
before. In any case, I have experimented with the find and replace when all
the docs are opened and the crash still occurs.

Sincerely,
Joe