F9 Keyboard Shortcut not working (FM10, WinXP)

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Feb 22 07:52:44 PST 2012

On 22/02/2012 3:55 AM, Shlomo Perets wrote:

> In FrameMaker 9 and 10, keyboard shortcuts for selecting
> tags/variables/conditions/elements/attributes (F9 or Ctrl-9, F8 or
> Ctrl-8, Ctrl-0, Ctrl-4, etc.) work inconsistently.
>
> When the shortcuts don't work (bottom left corner shows "Not
> Applicable"), resize the FM application window, and they should work
> again (only until the next time you experience the same problem). You
> may also try turning on the "Auto-Collapse Iconic Panels" preference --
> some users reported this to be of help (I experience the problem
> regardless of the preference; turning on this preference has a side
> effect of unexpectedly closing a pod/panel when a child dialog is closed
> -- e.g. DPI setting from Object Properties or Edit Tab Stop from the
> Paragraph Designer). Restarting FM should also help (again, until the
> next time the problem appears).

I have also found that when the F8/F9 shortcuts fail, I can click in the
status bar where the dropdown list *should* appear, and it *does*
appear; the problem goes away for a while, until the next failure.

You're absolutely right, Shlomo -- flaky shortcuts are a MAJOR
annoyance.  No highly productive computer user can afford to rely on the
mouse.

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator