Section Number Grayed Out in Book

Oran Petersen orandeep at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 20:47:01 PST 2012

Frame added a System based Section Number and Sub-Section Number with Version 9.
This is also when they enabled hierarchical books, with folders and groups. Unfortunately they tied the two functionalities together.
The Section Number is enabled only at the 2nd level of hierarchy, and Sub-Section only at at the 3rd.
Try it. Build a book, create a folder and drop a file into the folder. You will then be able to set Section Number, but will find the Chapter Number grayed out.
The same is true for the Sub Section number. Make a 32d tier and you enable Subs, but gray out Section and Chapter.
This is logical enough, but as we build our books customized through code, this destroyed the potential to use Section Number for us. We have been using Volume as a workaround for many years, and must now still do so. adobe, are you listening? Give us the option.
Oran Petersen