Enabling a PDF for comments from FrameMaker Settings

Fei Min Lorente FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com
Fri Jan 6 16:54:49 PST 2012

FrameMaker 7.2 on Windows XP, Adobe Acrobat 6 Professional, and
TimeSavers 5.0.

We normally password-protect our PDFs produced from FrameMaker to guard
against accidental or deliberate changes, but we had a customer request
the ability to annotate the PDF file. Under Adobe PDF Security, I found
the option for Changes Allowed: "Commenting, filling in form fields, and
signing". I thought everything was all right because I could then
comment on the resultant PDFs, but I was using Acrobat.

I then found out that people who are using Reader cannot comment on the
files unless I enable commenting in Acrobat. Is there a way to enable
commenting using any of the above tools that I told you that I have,
before the PDF is generated? We have an automated output system, so I
must be able to configure the settings in one of them without opening
the PDF file after it's been generated.

If the answer is no, then will I have any better luck with FrameMaker 10
and Adobe Acrobat X on Windows 7? We're supposed to upgrade this year.

Fei Min

Fei Min Lorente
Senior Technical Communicator
Medical Division