Recommended graphic file format for single-sourcing from Frame to Robohelp?

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 14 09:33:01 PST 2012

Virginia, I don't use RH, but I author DITA in FM and create PDFs from FM, and PDFs and online help with WebWorks ePublisher. However, I'm guessing that whatever file format you use is will depend on what best creates the image. I use jpg and gif most of the time.

It might also depend on where you create your image. For example, you cannot create composite images in DITA. I use Adobe Illustrator to create a composite image, and then I export it as bmp and then save it as a jpg or gif. Sometimes I create charts in Visio and save them as jpg because gif doesn't create satisfactory results for me.

Create some trial DITA topics with different image formats in them. Run them through RH and see what works best for you.

Nadine

>________________________________

group, so I apologize if this topic has been covered extensively somewhere (if
so,  please feel free to point me to it). I have recently resumed my
Technical Writing career at a software development company that uses FrameMaker
to create its documentation. All the legacy manuals were delivered with the
products as hyperlinked PDF files (not really meant for printing due to length,
although one could do so and they are formatted correctly for that).

>The company recently purchased TCS3, and would like to
single-source Frame files to online help using Robohelp. I have been trying to
find out what would be the best graphic file format  to use for this
multi-purpose moving forward. Some background: All legacy images, which are
primarily screenshots with some flowcharts, were .tif files, RGB color, 96 dpi
(again, intended for on-screen viewing). Using TCS3 moving forward, is there a
better/clear recommendation for what graphic file format would produce the best
results?

>I have been searching the web for a few days and can’t
seem to find any information on this particular aspect of single-sourcing using
the new TCS3. Does it not matter, i.e., does one just set up Robohelp templates
to convert .tifs to .jpgs or similar?

>All information is very much appreciated. Thank you, and I
am happy to be back to this forum!