Fw: FM + CMS + SMEs w/o $$$?

Keith.Soltys at tmx.com Keith.Soltys at tmx.com
Fri Jan 27 06:25:05 PST 2012

I'm starting to use SmartDocs and will be rolling it out to an initial
group of about a dozne users, none of whom are technical writers.

It gives Word users a lot of the capabilities that Frame users have had
for a while: conditional text, reusable variables, and snippets, all of
which can be combined as you see fit. It uses SharePoint as a repository
for the SmartDocs content, but your documents can reside anywhere.

I've been using it to condense multiple versions of specification
documents into "master" versions from which I can output "snapshots" -
that is versions made up of specific combinations of variables, snippets,
and conditionals. So far, it seems to be working out pretty well and will
save me and our group a lot of work in the long run.

It's very easy to use and seems robust. But it is a Word-only tool. (Word
2007 and 2010, at that).

Frame has all of these capabilities, but SmartDocs makes it much easier to
manage them across multiple documents. I may end up using it for some
projects that I'd have used Frame for previously, just because it's so
easy to use. And it's mulit-user, so our group can share reusable content
across documents and project - something that is a pain to manage in
Frame.

Suggestion to any Frame developers out there readomg this: Now that Frame
has SharePoint integration, look at putting together something like
SmartDocs for Frame. You'd clean up.

Regards
Keith

--
Keith Soltys
Senior Technical Writer

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY

This e-mail, including all materials contained in or attached to this e-mail, contains proprietary and confidential information solely for the internal use of the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or otherwise and ensure that it is permanently deleted from your systems, and do not print, copy, distribute or read its contents.

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ

Le présent courriel, y compris tous les documents qu'il contient ou qui y sont joints, renferme des renseignements exclusifs et confidentiels destinés uniquement à l'usage interne du destinataire prévu. Si vous avez reçu le présent courriel par erreur, veuillez nous aviser immédiatement, notamment par retour de courriel, et vous assurer qu'il est supprimé de façon permanente de vos systèmes; veuillez également vous abstenir d'imprimer, de copier, de distribuer ou de lire son contenu.