HTML Generation and Alinks

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Fri Jan 27 14:35:51 PST 2012

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:01:24 -0800, "Lea Rush" <lea at astoria-pacific.com> wrote:

>I generate CHM from my Frame files (Framemaker 8.0 p277). Is it possible to
>add the help targets in Frame directly?

Yes, at least if you are doing it with Mif2Go.
(You didn't indicate what tool you are using to
create the HTML Help.)  You can do it with markers.
See the User's Guide, par. 6.6.4.1,  "Adding
related-topic link keywords via markers".

>I just read an article about
>generating the Frame index as you go, and that made me wonder. I’ve tried a
>couple of things which I don’t list out of pure embarrassment. The text of
>the alink target is this:
>
><param name="ALink Name" value="TOPIC:nnn">
>
>where “nnn” is a three or four digit target hard-coded into our software.

That's one line of a multi-line <object> element,
and it's not quite the right syntax anyway.  But
you don't have to know the object syntax; Mif2Go
creates that for you.  Your marker would be type
ALink (or another type mapped to that), with
content TOPIC:nnn.

It sounds like you are really using this for CSH,
though, and that can be even simpler; just add
a hypertext newlink marker with the value.  See
par. 8.11.1.1, "Using markers for CSH destinations".

The Mif2Go User's Guide can be accessed on line at:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/ohusergd/
Or can be downloaded from:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm#Mif2Go_UG

HTH!