Text reflows when converting to PDF

Karen Robbins karendesign at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 10:38:29 PDT 2012

Thanks, Framers, for great explanations and resources.

I have now set the Adobe PDF default printer and unchecked that
system fonts box in both locations. Note: The box remained unchecked
in Frame's Print Setup dialog when I booted up this morning, and even
when I switched to and from a physical printer. Yay!

But I can't rely on printing only from PDF.

--Without changing settings, a PDF often prints slightly smaller than
the original. That's insignificant for most users of the finished
PDF. But when type is already at 7 point, any smaller makes
reading/proofing even more difficult. If I want to check a
measurement, that inadvertent reduction might make it incorrect.
Changing settings takes more time than using a physical printer.

--While distilling runs much more smoothly these days than it used
to, I don't always want to take the time for those extra steps just
to get a hard copy.

--PDF conversion mangles some obscure formulas/symbols no matter what
work-arounds I employ. I need to see them correct at least once--my
physical printer has no problem with them. (But who knows, maybe the
font box issue will resolve that, too!)

--My physical printer works perfectly for me in every other instance.
Plus it has stunning output that is slightly reduced in quality if I
print from the PDF. Again, most people wouldn't notice, but I do.

Thanks again everyone,
Karen