table tags don't seem to be recognized in Acrobat X pdf

kblake2 at mmm.com kblake2 at mmm.com
Tue Jul 10 13:24:36 PDT 2012

I browse this list occasionally so forgive me I'm not following standard
procedure. And I realize this isn't an Acrobat forum, but FM and Acrobat
work so closely together....

I have to create 508-compliant pdfs from FM, and I thought I was clicking
along just fine until some of my pdfs started to get kicked back to me in
the last month because they weren't considered compliant anymore.
Specifically they are mentioning I need a header in the table tag and I
need to defining the scope (of the table, I guess).

When I was first trying to create 508 compliant pdfs from FM, I remember
seeing a table tag (marked with a tiny little table icon) in the reading
order layout in Acrobat. But now I don't see those table tag icons anymore
in the pdf reading order. I just see a generic sort of object tab (a
little brown box thingy) for everything in the reading order, including
tables. I haven't changed my table tags in FM. The only changes over the
last few years have been to upgrade through a couple of versions of
Acrobat (from Acrobat 7/8 to Acrobat X now) and from FM 7.2 to FM 9. I
want to work smarter, not harder, so I want to get things correct in the
FM source rather than fix things in Acrobat afterwards, but I have no idea
why my table tags don't seem to make it through to the pdf. I always
create tables from the Table menu and define a header row and put the
table in its own paragraph (using a tag called Table).

Also, when I try to fix things in the pdf and check the table header and
table row tagging, I can't even force the table to be recognized as a
table. I can't even get the Table Editor button to be active (it stays
grayed out no matter what I do). There's this Table Inspector feature
people talk about but I don't see that anywhere.

Anyone have some advice on how to properly tag tables so they are
recognized as tables in FM? I'm hoping it is something simple I'm
overlooking. I went for so long with nobody saying my pdf was not 508
compliant that I have no idea when things might have changed in how FM
table tagging has changed. Maybe I'm messing up the PDF options when I
make the pdf, though I am enabling the Tagged pdf option.

Help!

Using FM 9 and Acrobat X on Win 7.

Kathy Blake | Documentation Dept.
3M Health Information Systems Div
SLC Office, 575 West Murray Blvd. | Murray, UT
Office: 801 265 4462
kblake2 at mmm.com | www.3MHIS.com